Saturday, July 17, 2010

Being Happy is a choice. The past year has been an eternity... Konrad died. Sarah died. Aunt Ivy has cancer. My parents both came to me with their problems with each other, and it completely and utterly broke my heart more than any boy or man could. I know that there are people who have been through much worse.. and even when my focus wasn't right, I could still find peace, and joy. And for that, I thank the creator. But through talking with dad, talking with Josh, I realize that people can steal my happiness if I let them.
Happiness is mine: once it's found I guard it, I keep it safe, I gather more and keep it and share it. But once someone steals a little bit, whether it be through a bad relationship, through a death, through a sickness, it's like the lock comes off of the door where your mind is peaceful and it's possible for you to start letting go of the good thoughts. Pleasure comes in sick forms rather than in beauty. Once the good thoughts start to go, the joy in every day life starts to go. The negativity grows exponentially, without my noticing, but still with my permission. I stop noticing beauty and start noticing only the negative things. I let the negativity get there. It becomes more difficult to see beauty in everyday things.

Everything is a gift. I have family, I have the ocean around me, the rain, the scattered sunny days. I have a car that works most days, and two jobs that I enjoy. I have the ability and everything that I need to enjoy life. Some days I wake up and this is natural, and I know that I am blessed... other days I have to go through a few hours of sadness before finally telling myself these things and working myself into a happy state. These days are harder, but not impossible.

Don't let anyone steal your joy. Realize that happiness is yours, it's the choice that you have to hold on to happy thoughts. Think good things. Remember the Happiness. As the songwriter sings, count your blessings, name them one by one. And it may surprise you what the Lord has done.