Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Creator and Creation.

I was watching a video by Rob Bell the other day, and he said something that made me think a lot about the human race.
Rob talked about how God, completely spiritual, loves to create. And so he created, and then loved his creation. He created this world that is completely physical, the opposite of everything that the I AM represents, and called it good.
But not great. He wasn't finished yet.
Then he created man, a being that is completely physical and at the same time, completely spiritual. This being would work and die and reproduce (I suppose God thought of reproduction in the beginning.. or maybe not. Imagine Adam waking up after God decided that! haha) as other physical creatures, but the being also can create, can love as his creator loves. This being named and became master of everything on earth. Then He(being God) made another creature, a creature that man was not master of, but complimentary to. Another spiritual and physical being, that would rule alongside him.

The point of this story (to me, anyway) was the purpose of God creating. Of making both man and woman capable of love and the love to create. To worship God is to be pleased with what He's given us, isn't it? To give the creator the very best of all our creations. Why we baptize ourselves. Why we dedicate children to the church.
But have we lost our focus? More than once(okay, the majority of the time), my art has been about me. I constantly think about how I need to get a perfect photo so people will see it and think that I'm good. That I'll be able to be proud of my work.
Which brings me to the point of my story:

Who is the greater artist: the one who creates the sunset, or the one who paints it?



No doubt that we are all made to create. But we should be never be distracted and overruled by our art to the point that we forget the one who gave us the gifts in the first place.

No comments: